Hoyland Springwood Junior Leadership Team – What is it?
Our Junior Leadership Team (JLT) is a group of students who are elected to represent the views of all pupils and work together to improve our school. We follow a democratic process to elect the leaders. If they wish to become a junior leader, the pupils must plan a short presentation explaining why they would be a good member of the team. They then present their views to their class and a secret vote takes place.
What do the Junior Leadership Team do?
The Junior Leadership Team meet regularly to discuss issues that are important to the children. They have an agenda which they create, a member of the JLT takes the minutes and another chairs the meeting.
The JLT meet with the governing body regularly to share their work with them. They are involved in appointing new staff to our school community and work with our subject leaders to ensure our teaching and learning is as good as it can be.
The representatives feedback information to their classes about what has happened during the meeting and this usually leads to further discussion and debate within classes. The team make sure that requests from pupils are discussed and actions is taken as a result of this.
Each JLT member has a specific responsibility across the school and meets with the corresponding staff member to discuss changes and opportunities to move our school forward. The whole JLT helps run the Dojo shop as a reward system that is used throughout all the school.
The objectives of our Junior Leadership Team are to:
- Give pupils the right to say what they think- we all have a voice.
- Listen to and consider suggestions made by pupils.
- Allow pupils to present new initiatives and ideas.
- Allow pupils to talk about what is important to them.
- Help the school Senior Leadership Team and governors understand what is important to the children.
- Find out and share what matters and give information to everyone in school.
- Help make our school the very best it can be.